Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lazy People

So one thing that's always bothered me is lazy people. I know it's a rude statement, and someone who generalizes people into a group like that is not the how I like to portray myself. But in this instance I think it really needs to be said.

I'm talking about the people who take their cars to go somewhere that is 5 blocks away. I'm talking about the people who would rather wait 5 minutes for an elevator to arrive to take them up to the 3rd floor. I'm talking specifically about the people who will press the automatic door opener even though there is someone (ME!) holding the door open for them already.

I know that everyone does these things every once in a while, but I work in a very tall building and I see things like this all the time. It never fails to amaze me the ignorance of some people in my office building. One door has an automatic open and the other doesn't. I generally go through the non-automatic door, and will hold the door for those coming through behind me. Despite all that, there is always the one person who, when there is no one else around, will still push the automatic open even though the door is already open. This absolutely amazes me. Is the other door not good enough to be graced with your presence? What is it about the automatic door that makes everyone want to walk through it? Are you in need of the door to automatically open for you? Have you lost a limb? As far as I can tell, and I see these people often, they are in perfect health and have all their fingers and toes. So why do they need to be using the automatic door? Our front doors are not heavy, they actually open very easily. It just bothers me so much.

For half of last week's work week, one of our 2 remaining elevators was out of service. This left 14 floors with only one working elevator. Signs were posted in the lobby to request those working on the lower floors to take the stairs instead, as it would be faster, but people were still too lazy to take a few flights of stairs. I have to say that a large proportion of people were taking the stairs, as I don't think I've seen it as full since the elevator was fixed, but its definitely frustrating when the elevator stops on every floor, starting at the 2nd. Who would wait more than 5 minutes for an elevator to take you up one floor, when you are perfectly capable of walking up that flight of stairs?


Exercise: you don't have time not to.
- Anon.

No comments: