Saturday, May 02, 2009

Relationships

The last week has been full of many moments of boredom, among other things. I work during the day, but I come home to just my brother at home. It's been rather difficult trying to find things to fill my time, but I've managed to be slightly successful at it.

Last night Gail and I met up at Spicy Garden for some food, then went to Tea Bar afterward for some bubble tea. Maylene called and we spent a while trying to convince her to come out, but she wasn't having it. So we went to Prohibition around 1245 to meet up with Reid since it was Jess' birthday party there. Michael, Yvonne and Dan had just left when we got there, so it really was just Chris, Reid, Tyler and Jess that I knew there. We hung out there for a while before we decided just to head home. I was getting pretty tired, and wanted to get home to get to bed as well. I got home around 2am, and tried to text Greg to see if he had his phone on. I didn't get a text back, so I'll just wait for another email to come around.

Among all my spare time, I've had a lot of time to think as well. Mostly about what the last year of my life has been a symbol of. In the last six months, I've finally had the real ability to look back on myself since high school, and how I've changed as a person. What I saw when I looked at myself wasn't something that I necessarily enjoyed. Rather than growing up as a person and maturing, I felt I was actually heading in the opposite direction, and it was something I didn't realize until I actually stopped and thought about my actions. My "epiphany" has made me think long and hard about the relationships I have with people, particularly those who are close to me, and it makes me realize I should be a bigger person about things and learn to forgive and forget. I guess not necessarily forgive, but that I should learn to forget things, and to understand the other person's feelings. Mostly, that I should be asking forgiveness of others.

In the last week, I've had a lot of time to watch movies, and they all turned out to be romantic girly movies: Love Actually, A Walk to Remember, and Bride Wars.

Love Actually made me cry. A lot. Actually, they all made me cry. It was the first time I saw Love Actually in its entirety, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoy the movie. The most touching part of it I think, was the scenes where Jamie is learning Portuguese, and then proceeds to - on a whim - go and propose to Aurelia. The movie portrays so many types of relationships surrounding love and I think is an eye-opener for everybody on their own personal relationships.

A Walk to Remember is just one of those classic movies that I absolutely love. Mandy Moore is so beautiful in it, and I can't think of a more genuinely romantic innocent story line. Nicholas Sparks novels always leave me teary eyed, and this movie is one of the few novel adaptations that I think have been done well.

I just finished watching Bride Wars, and the movie honestly made me laugh half the time. It makes me look back on my relationship with Gail and Heather and wonder if we would actually do that to each other. I don't think I could be that hateful and spiteful to my best friends. I think that despite the fact that I dreamt of something my entire life, I would give it all up for my girls, because that's how important they are to me. The movie works out in the end, but not after 2 ruined weddings and very public embarassment. The tears fell at the end when everything finally came together for them, but only after months of doing very evil things to each other.

It makes me glad to know that I have a state of mind where I think of others before myself. That I know my priorities and that nothing comes in the way of my family and friends. Although I have always been like that since I was little, I lost myself for a few years recently. I am so glad to gain this aspect of myself again, and I'm ready to accept more challenges that life wants to throw at me. I believe I've come out a stronger person and that this time around, I can pass the test.


What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.
- Aristotle

No comments: