Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dinner Potluck

I realized today I didn't get photos of our dishes, but I thought I'd write about the first dish Adam made all by himself!

Before you start making all sorts of ridiculous assumptions, it's not that Adam can't cook, it's that I usually don't let him cook (type A personality trait, oui oui?).

I was very much resisting even letting him come in the kitchen at first (except to do dishes), but I've slowly let go a bit and am very much letting him help with dinner. But back to the point, Kendra had mentioned she was making appetizers and Matt a dessert, so we felt the pressure to at least match that (and here comes the competitive personality trait...).

We had fun in the kitchen, and apparently two of us cooking really does make twice the mess.

My dish? Vegetable casserole. Simple, understand, and easy to do. Broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots and green beans in a cream of mushroom base with bread crumb topping.

Adam's? Scalloped potatoes. I've only had Kendra's scalloped potatoes before, so it was interesting to see the differences in how they make them. Kendra's, of course, are full potato rounds, sliced thinly and layered in a perfect array. Adam's are half potato rounds, thicker sliced and in a random assortment of deliciousness. Layered with a bechamel sauce and topped with cheesy goodness, we were good to go in 90 minutes.

Thanks for hosting, Carolyne!