Monday, March 07, 2011

Cupcakes with buttercream frosting

I've made cupcakes before, but I normally don't make my own frosting. Nor do I try to fill a piping bag and pipe it decoratively on top. Well, there's always a first for everything.

It was Laura's birthday on Saturday, and in lieu of a birthday gift, cupcakes were made instead. I went to the store to get nice pink and blue cupcake liners (which, chocolate is the WORST at ruining the colour of... never again!), and these cute styrofoam pink and blue mini eggs to top.

My buttercream frosting was a simple vanilla recipe. I don't have fancy piping tools, so I simply used a disposable Wilton piping bag and some of their plastic piping tips. I actually didn't think the floral tip would be big enough, so I took the round tip and cut it so it was a fat round tip to pipe out. It worked surprisingly well! And this time, I cut the hole of the disposable piping bag smaller than before, so my icing didn't leak out the sides of the piping tip. Phew!

Happy birthday Laura!

Before the party though, I actually had a potluck to attend. I brought wine, cheese and crackers to that, and stayed for a few hours before leaving for Laura's. Good thing Adam was bright enough to think to bring the cupcakes to Laura's beforehand. Not only were we able to drink at both places (and take the bus/taxi), but it was a really yucky wet day out and it would have been a disaster trying to get the cupcakes to and from places!

<3