The movie is about a homosexual relationship, and not in any ray a romante or comedy movie - very much out of my normal genre of movie - putting it as the fifth movie on #95 of my DayZero project.I very much enjoyed the movie. It is reminiscent of Requiem for a Dream, in that it is disjunctly put together, but not as exaggerated. There is a lot of shuffling back and forth within time, but most things are sequential, as we travel through what Dr. Falconer is planning to be his last day alive.
The movie literally doesn't skimp on details. With a constant visual of clocks in the background, there is a real feel for time progression as George makes his way to the end of his day and the end of his life.
It's a heartfelt story of prematurely lost love, and what I enjoy the most is how off the cuff it is, by portraying not the typical plotline of a lost spouse, but headlining what happens when a homosexual couple is torn apart by inevitable accidental circumstance. Set in the 1960s, it also highlights the segregation of homosexuals at the time, by George not being invited, or allowed, to attend the memorial service for his deceased partner. The acting by Colin Firth and Julianne Moore definitely deserve the praise they are receiving. Truly an amazingly done movie, and very worthy of the Oscar buzz it is generating.
After getting home from the movie, I got ready to head to social mixer 'k'. Kendra came over to drop off her and Chris' stats assignments before giving me a lift to Chase's place. There weren't as many people as last time, which frankly is a good thing. When I arrived, they had just begun singing the day long written 6 page story. I wasn't around for the making of it, but it was apparently a day long process to get that ridiculous story out there. It was monologued to guitars, with Phil freestyling some lyrically rhyming choruses in between.
There were a lot of New Liskeardians, and a vast amount of new faces to me. I finally got to meet Joel and Adam's girlfriends, and the girls are an absolute blast. I met some other people and chatted with them for a large portion of the night, before realizing it is past 2am (wayy past when I was originally planning to go home) and decided it was time to go home. The walk home was much shorter than I remember from last time, which actually didn't matter for last night since it has been relatively mild outside here lately. At a balmy zero-ish degrees, the walk home was refreshing and much needed - especially after the tequila Adam handed me, and the drink that Graehem mixed for me. A fun night indeed, as always at Chase's.
No comments:
Post a Comment