Sunday, January 24, 2010

Eggless Muffins

So I went into the fridge yesterday to find out we didn't have eggs. Interesting. Last time I looked, we still had 2 cartons.. Nevertheless, it does not stop the procrastinator from procrastinating. I got to try out my eggless muffin recipe.

The recipe is originally for blueberry muffins, but I wanted to get rid of the bag of raspberries in the freezer, so I made a half and half recipe.


Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
lemon zest, from 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 cup blueberries


Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease the muffin tin.
  2. In one bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, lemon zest.
  3. In another bowl, combine sugar, milk, oil, vinegar. Mix well.
  4. Add the dry to wet. Do not overmix.
  5. Gently fold in berries, careful not to cause bleeding.
  6. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
  7. Bake 22 minutes.

Half cranberry, half blueberry.

Adaptations:

As usual, I adapted the recipe how I saw fit. I didn't have lemon extract, so that was left out. I also don't like using all purpose flour, so whole wheat it was (explaining why the muffins look a bit off in colour). And of course I reduced the sugar content by half. The berries are sweet enough that it isn't necessary to add such significant amounts of sugar to baking.


Verdict:

The eggless muffins weren't bad tasting, I definitely give the recipe a passing grade. Because they are eggless, they are lacking a bit in the flavour department, which explains why the lemon extract was necessary. To combat this, I would probably just add more lemon zest and berries next time around. The muffins were fabulous in terms of how they turned out. They didn't rise quite as much as I like, but that is probably due to the fact that I only filled the tins about 1/2 full, but I would probably add a tad more baking soda next. They rose nicely and were light, fluffy and moist - key factors when I eat my muffins. The (adapted) recipe is absolutely going into my regular repertoire of baking.

No comments: