Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chocolate mousse shortbread sandwiches

Sounds like a mouthful doesn't it?

It is.

A mouthful of delicious, that is.

To counteract the licorice taste from the fennel in the Mediterranean soup, I opted for a semi-sweet dessert to go with it.

I saw this on gojee again, therefore, I clearly had to make them.

The original post wanted honey coated strawberries to top these, which makes sense after-the-fact. However, strawberries aren't in season right now and I wasn't going to rush out to get something picked unripe and shipped from thousands of miles away just to satisfy a malleable cookie recipe. The cookies were destined to go strawberry-less.

Despite that, they turned out great. The cookie batter is a consistency I'm not really used to. It was really wet and was to be rolled out quite thin. It turned out to be a lot more cookies than I thought, which is nice for sharing.


Don't they just look delicious? I used nested cookie cutters, so I had small and large sizes of the same fluted shape.

The cream filling was a simple concoction of melted semi-sweet&dark-mix chocolate and whipped heavy cream. Only half the cream was whipped so it didn't have a ridiculously light and fluffy texture. The chocolate also helped to weigh it down a bit to give it a heavier denser consistency like that of buttercream (although it was far from it, let's be honest).

The cookie filling was piped with a 1M Wilton tip for extra oomfph on the edges.