Thursday, October 20, 2011

Asia Day 8-9: Taipei, Taiwan

September 30
Day 2 in Taipei and we started at some fancy hotel called "The Grand Hotel" (圓山大飯店). We wandered around, took photos, used the bathroom, then headed to a place that has guards (萬古流芳). Sorry I don't know the name in English, but it is guarded by 4 guards (left) who take 1 hour rotations and have a 20 minute long elaborate protocol when they are switching guards. It was quite entertaining to watch.

This is when my camera battery dies, so the rest of this day is not quite so well documented. My dad's photos indicate we went to the jade market, I know neither the English or Chinese name at this point, but I remember the man who worked in there deciphered my chinese name and basically told me I was obnoxiously stubborn and need to learn to listen to people.

After that, we went to Jiufen (九份), a very mountainous area with a single street up at the top that is very busy. The street is lined with shops and food places just like at night markets.

We went to Ximending (西門町) for dinner on the last night. Technically speaking, it is a neighbourhood and shopping district, but it might as well have been called another night market because it was all street food (aka. getting very sick of eating the same thing).

Somewhere along the way in Taipei (either this day or the day before) we went to the hot springs (北投椰林溫泉). I don't know the name in English and a quick google search did not turn up any English. I don't remember which day this happened because I did not participate in this part. It was a mandatory no-clothing hot spring and despite the temptation of a private room, I heard from some of the girls on the tour that it wasn't that clean. No loss there, I don't like going in and out of hot spring tubs set at different temperatures to experience the "maximum effect".

October 1
We were given some free time in the morning before our flight, so we took our time getting up and walked the neighbouring streets.

Things to note:
  • I do believe meat is hanging at the street side stalls from morning until night in scorching temperatures (below). How do YOU feel about leaving your meat out to defrost all day?
  • Also note in the photo (below) how you can buy your clothes in the store and then walk out to get your meat for dinner. How convenient!
  • I don't think grocery stores exist in Asia. Everyone buys things from the street stalls.
  • Stores don't open until like noon. Argh.

Hanging meat - very VERY common...


Goodbye tour-guides!