Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Asia Day 6: Taichung, Taiwan

September 28
We woke up in the morning to some events in Kaohsiung and all the way along the drive to Taichung (臺中).

First thing, we went to some store in Kaohsiung that sells pearls (珍珠養殖中心). Obviously a sponsor of our tour, they were very persistent to get you to buy pearls. My mom had just got some in Shanghai so we weren't going to spend more money on that. They had this other stuff though, that wasn't a turtle, but looked very similar to it. It was made into pill form and was supposed to be very good for you. I don't remember the details, but I bought a box of the pills for my dad to try. Expensive stuff!

After this, we went to Sun Moon Lake (日月潭). The lake is so named because the east side of the lake looks like a sun, the west side like a moon. I, however, fail to see the sun or the moon and just see some blobs in the earth that are filled in with water. Perhaps the map is a bit too literal? Anyways, it is the largest body of water in Taiwan and actually has a little island (Lalu) in it. We had lunch here, sight-saw, then left.

After lunch, we went to Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village (九族文化村). The village has the largest free-fall ride in Taiwan (which I did not venture up) and celebrates the culture of the nine aboriginal tribes in Taiwan.

They had some interesting things to see and their wax sculptures of people were very lifelike (aka. creepy). A lot full of bunnies and some aboriginal singing/dancing show later, we were off.

In Taichung, we went to the Feng Chia night market (逢甲夜市), supposedly the largest night market in the city, also adjacent to Feng Chia University (逢甲大學). Having overdosed on delicious goodness from the night market the night before, I took it easy and went with some noodle soups and no fried goodness. Oh but how I miss the delicious fried foods!

We went to the hotel after the night market where I quickly tried on my new clothes and subsequently passed out. Traveling is hard!