I'm really glad I never applied to Medicine while going to school at home, but this is still very disappointing to see, coming from my home university.
This last Friday was the Medicine banquet for the new graduating class, and Dean Philip Baker plagiarized most (read:ALL) of his speech from Dr. Atul Gawande from Stanford University's School of Medicine.
I feel like this really ruins the reputation of the University of Alberta, as one of the Dean's at the University isn't responsible enough to know not to plagiarize something as important as a graduation speech. I am sorely disappointed in the way the Dean (and the University) has responded to this.
I really hope the University does something about this. If there's nothing done, this just opens the door for future students to plagiarize all they want. "If the Dean can, why can't I?"
To read more, click the link below.
http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/blog/2011/06/13/medical-deans-who-plagiarize-should-resign/