Adam's birthday was yesterday, which is the main reason why we didn't stay overnight at Relay this year. I needed most of the day to bake the cake, so being awake and alert was necessary.
I made a simple white cake, a recipe I hadn't tried before. With a trick to help cakes bake evenly, I was pleasantly surprised to have a perfectly level cake when I was done with the baking!
This made my life so much easier, because it wasn't absolutely crucial for me to crumb coat the cake. Although it would have been better with it, I was totally pressed for time.
I made a simple vanilla buttercream to start and slathered it all over the cake. To put the finishing decorations up, I added a packet of instant espresso to make a delicious buttercream and a slight colour contrast.
We went out for dinner at Wooly's and headed back for games and dessert. Hurray for birthdays!