I watched 2 movies.
Finally, I made it around to watching YPF - Young People Fucking - a movie that debuted at the Toronto International Film Festival and was widely received. It went on to be the highest grossing Canadian film - staying in theatres for almost 4 months.
The movie revolves around 5 different couples (couple, first date, exes, best friends and roommates - 3some), and the sex within. Broken up into 6 chapters (prelude, foreplay, sex, interlude, orgasm and afterglow), it is a unique and interesting take on the younger generations and the inner workings of intimate relationships.The movie had garnered a lot of political controversy a few years back when Bill C-10 was out on the table. However, the movie was still raved about, and really isn't as cheap as the title suggests.
YPF strikes a chord as something very familiar running in any number of circles you may encounter. It's a refreshing bite into the reality of today's generation, and shouldn't be discredited based on the film title.
The second movie of the night for me was Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton's "Something's Gotta Give". I watched this at the suggestion of Kendra, because she discovered it was from the same director as "It's Complicated" - which I gave her a few days ago.
I didn't really like the Meryl Streep movie that much, but figured that it was lighthearted enough that I could take another 90 minutes of that on a rainy night.
I was wrong.I am generally a fan of Jack Nicholson, but not tonight. I found the acting in this movie pushing the limits far beyond where I like it. The acting looked forceful and unpleasant, like the movie was difficult to film because of a clash of personalities or ideas on set. I found a definitely lack of true emotion shining through the character personalities - even in Keanu Reeves.
Diane Keaton is a good actress, but I could not find anything less desirable than her performance. She was a far cry from stellar, and I could NOT stand the incessantly ridiculous and outrageous crying/laughing/hooting she continued to do for a good 5 minutes in the movie. I have never heard seen such outlandish antics on screen before. The movie was bearable up until that point - where it went downhill and I stopped paying attention.
It's rare that I really dislike a movie, but I have to say that this really bottoms out my list, big time. Despite the similar undertones to "It's Complicated', I found the latter to be much more lighthearted and better suited for the "romantic comedy" genre. Something's Gotta Give really was just a bad script turned into an even worse movie..
No comments:
Post a Comment