Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving


Anyone looking for some turkey?

Yesterday was Orphan Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Since I didn't have plans for Thanksgiving this year, and a few other people I knew didn't either, I decided we would have our own Thanksgiving. I went and bought a turkey the week before, and found a nice 10lb-er at the store.

Defrost on Friday, roast on Sunday. Awesome! As usual, tackling a piece of meat that resembles it's living counterpart is difficult for me, so of course I went about it wearing gloves... Typical type A huh... A good long marinate in white wine, then a oil herb rub with garlic, stuffed with fresh parsley and a bulb of garlic, and in the oven for 2 hours!

I also made bread stuffing, roast vegetables and a jamaican pumpkin pie. Heather brought a caesar salad (and the pumpkin for the pie), Mina, the sweet potato pumpkin puree I made at the last potluck, Kendra a cold bulgar wheat dish, and Adam the all important vino.

Props to Adam for making the pie filling =)

Thanksgiving dinner was a hit, the turkey was soooo yummy, as was everything else! Walter showed up after dinner, in time for us to enjoy the delicious pie and ice cream. Then we all settled into the living room to watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I obviously didn't pay much attention to it, as I was up and about either cleaning or doing something else random in the kitchen. Or talking to people in general, as I'm sure not everyone was watching the movie. But, like a good sport, Adam stayed till the end of the movie before he left. What a trooper - first to arrive, and last to leave!

Thanksgiving without family is hard, and obviously different. But with good people around you, it can be just as great, if not better. Despite being away from home for the second Thanksgiving, and really being on my own, I think it's good to start the new tradition of the single 20s and enjoying the special occasions with all the special friends in my life. Thanks everyone to making this year's turkey day so memorable =)