Tuesday, July 13, 2010

TerraCotta Warriors

After returning from Ohio Thursday night, I repacked my bag that night to make the trip to Toronto Friday for the weekend. I had plans with Vernon and Clair for dinner and "night it up" on Friday night. One of Clair's friends - Steven - joined us for "night it up". Turns out, Steven used to work with my brother's friend Lawrence. He lived in Vancouver up until just recently, where he left his job and came to Toronto to upgrade some schooling. Funny how even though I'm 2000 miles from home, I still run into people who have common acquaintances... The world is definitely not small enough!

After "night it up", we went to Go for Tea to get some real food. I guess Steven must have been quite hungry. I eventually got back to my aunt's house. At 130am. Yikes! I slept in a little in the morning (aka. 9am), where I got up, got ready, and figured out plans with Winnie and Ray. Exciting! I was finally going to meet Eric!

I made my way by TTC to Spadina and Dundas where we were set to have dimsum lunch before heading to the ROM. Heather met us at the ROM for out 1pm entrance time to see the warriors. As I've already been to the ROM in 2008 and Heather last summer, we weren't particularly interested in re-visiting the regular exhibit. We headed straight for the TerraCottas.

The exhibit wasn't as big as I was lead to believe (only roughly 7 warriors and 3 horses), but it was impressive nonetheless. To see the warriors in real life up close like that and really gauge how large they are, the history that lead up to it, the manpower it took to build them, and the incredibly distinguishable and detailed characteristics of each. Most of the exhibit was smaller artifacts describing the history leading up to the tomb, and it was all pretty impressive.

After the ROM, we went to Greg's Ice Cream down the street, and I went to dinner. I left Sunday morning to head back to Guelph to catch the FIFA final with friends. A disappointing match, but a well deserved win for Spain. Congrats to the Spanish fans!

No comments: