Last night, we had a "girls only dinner" at Borealis - the local restaurant in Guelph. By local, I don't mean it is in the area. Yes it is, but I mean local in the produce-sense of the word. Borealis is the only restaurant in town that crafts their menu around local and naturally raised foods. Even the decor within the restaurant is locally sourced (wood and even the decorations).

We had dinner reservations for 7pm - Kendra, Jerlene, Mina, Kris and I. I've driven by the restaurant before and always thought it looked quite nice from the outside. The inside was beautiful as well and had a slightly homey feel to it - although I think that might be attributed to the huge wine rack that was on display behind our table.

The menu was quite impressive and although I wanted to try a lot of things, I wasn't actually that hungry for an entire meal. I ended up choosing the flatbread special for that night (prime rib and arugula), which was absolutely delish! I was expecting an open top type flatbread sandwich, so I was a little disappointed that my prime rib actually came cut up into pieces and spread over my flatbread, but it was very good still.
Borealis does a good job marketing the fact that it serves locally grown foods. Given that ingredients are local and organic, their menu prices definitely still fall under the affordable range. I probably wouldn't go to the restaurant on a regular basis, simply because I wouldn't want to wear out the novelty factor, but it is a restaurant that I would absolutely return to to try out their other dishes.
No comments:
Post a Comment