Thursday, July 23, 2009

July 18 Weekend

I had a pretty busy work week to begin with, not to mention a busy after work activity schedule (see previous post). Having a busy weekend wasn't going to make my week any more relaxing. Last week, I mentioned wanting to have a chill weekend at home and not do anything, but alas plans were made that I must attend to.

Friday, Prags invited me to Taste of Edmonton with him. Since I work downtown, I wasn't about to go home only to go straight back downtown, so I hung around for 2 hours waiting for everyone to arrive. I went to the mall first to return something and do random window shopping. I met up with Karmen who was going to ToE with Abel too. I got my tickets and we ventured through the food tents for scrumptious delights. I'd say Karmen did a good job finding the good food, as she attacks the rib that her and Abel got.

At 630 I left to meet up with Prags, and wait for Mike and Greg to get there as well. We walked around the grounds as I did another round to finish eating up my tickets. By the end I was pretty stuffed, I think mostly due to the mushroom bisque I got at the Fairmont Hotel tent. It was a pretty dense soup that filled me up, especially since it was hot out and I was eating hot soup. Prags and I left early, as we both had to head home, so Mike and Greg hung around some more.

Saturday I had a bbq at my house, with my family and some friends over. We ended up playing Killer Bunnies until 2am, and apparently I was completely oblivious to how bad the storm that night actually was. We caught about 5 minutes of hail and more than an hour of very strong winds, but nothing else really. There were no downed trees or anything of that sort in my area, and the power certainly did not go out. The lights flickered a lot for a period of about an hour, but that was the extent of the storm where we were. I didn't even know about downed trees and broken property until watching the news and talking to other people the next day.

Sunday was a lazy day where I lounged around at home. I did a bunch of work in the kitchen, like making a carrot cake and no-bake macaroon cookies. I also said I was making a salad to bring to Kelly's for her bbq, and all that took up most of my day. Given the fact that my day didn't really start until 1pm though, it really wasn't much time at all. We got to Kelly's a bit before 620 to find that there really weren't many people there. Gosh darn everyone for being late all the time. I know it happens, and I already was late, but apparently still too early by everyone else's watch.

It wasn't stormy, so much as just a relatively gloomy day. As I was driving, I saw some of these toppled trees that the news has been talking about lately. As it was the first time I've ventured outside since the storm, I could finally see first hand what all the fuss was about. Who knew it was so devastating?! Good thing the storm has passed, and it didn't end up thunderstorming tonight like predicted either!

No comments: