Kendra gave us a nice basket of lovely fresh picked cherries Friday night, so aside from eating them by the handful, I decided to do some baking with them. The result? Turnovers and a loaf.
Despite their delicious-looking-ness, I wasn't too happy with my baking this weekend. I'm not sure if it was me, or just the cherries. I haven't worked with them before, so I was surprised that things I make on a regular basis turned out quite like this.
What surprised me the most, was how awful (I thoguht) the cherry loaf turned out. I had never heard of cheery loaf before, but Adam swore by it and requested one be made, so I found one on BBC Good Food.
WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE!!!
I was so horribly dis-satisfied with this recipe. It was gross! I substituted the white chocolate for dark and I mixed all the cherries and chocolate into the loaf instead of only half and adding half to the top like they said, but it should most definitely NOT account for the atrocity I found upon removing my loaf from the pan.
There was grease EVERYWHERE. and I literally mean everywhere. The loaf pan was lined with so much grease I could see it physically dripping down the sides from the amount. The parchment was soaked in grease. When I put the loaf on to a cutting board, it instantly stained it a red grease. You couldn't pick up the loaf slice without it sagging due to the weight from the butter.
How much butter do the British like in their loaves? This loaf was heavy in both senses of the word: heavy in the stomach because of the insane amounts of butter and heavy because it literally weighed SO MUCH!
ONE CUP of butter? FOUR eggs?!?! REALLY?!!?!?!?!?!
I didn't even top it off with the chocolate ganache on top. Imagine if I did that, you would die of a heart attack!
I was skeptical when it called for nearly 2 sticks of butter, but I went with it anyways because the photo looked so delicious and moist. The recipe had gotten 4 stars for crying out loud!
I've had baking disasters before, but this was just ridiculous. Aside from the heart attack amount of butter, the loaf really was delicious. Unfortunately, I had to wrap my slice in paper towel and squeeze some of the excess butter out because I could literally feel it clogging my arteries.
I guess baking the British way doesn't work for me. I can't stand there all day weighing out my baking items!